A LESSON FROM TWO GPS RECEIVERS.
During the Adelaide Canoe Club Coffin Bay Kayaking Expedition 13, 14, 15 and
Comparing the GPS receivers directly
During another kayaking expedition 30 April-
- The difference in the distance measured by the two GPS receivers is real.
- The difference was caused by one kayak traveling further than the other.
- There are two known reasons for the difference in distance traveled.
- The kayak traveling the least distance used a deck compass to adjust its heading during the passage. It was therefore more sensitive to course alterations.
- The kayak traveling the longest distance was poorer at tracking and therefore wandered off course more often.
The general message is that the type of boat you paddle and attention to the detail of navigating can reduce the distance you paddle even when paddling within the same group. An extra 2 km added onto a 27km paddle is worth avoiding!